Friday 30 May 2008

Lil' Keke Interview from 2001

"Man, I’m young…bout 17 or 18 and they picking me up and letting me wreck on they tape. I got known just that fast of freestyling on Screw tapes. At this point I could have had a fan base of ten thousand"

"The main thing that everybody was waiting on was the hook up of Keke and Fat Pat. I feared that moment. I feared Fat Pat because he was such a dynamic freestyler that once he click on it was gone be just awesome"



down-south.com did a great interview with Lil' Keke in 2001. Some real deep stuff about the formation of the S.U.C. Peep it.


You grew up in the Herschelwood Community in Houston, what was that like?

First of all I’m not gone start off by saying that I grew up hard in the projects. And that we didn’t eat but two times a day and we wore the same shit. It wasn’t nothing like that. But I did grow up in a rough area, man. We wasn’t saying that we was unfortunate. Sure, we didn’t have a lot of the things we may have wanted and the environment wasn’t the best. It was all there –the murders, the gangs, the drugs – but it just wasn’t no project infested community. We was based around the projects but we grew up around it and we used to go back and forth over there, but the area we stayed in wasn’t a suburban area, it was like a working class Black community.

I grew up with a single parent, my mom. I had my father, but he wasn’t staying in the house with us man. So I grew up with a mother; no brothers, no uncles, or nothing like that. So I really was into the neighborhood. I used the neighborhood as big brother. [I had] more than one person taught me, all my neighborhood people taught me about life.
But sometimes I feel like a lotta hard-knock things I taught them to myself.

Read the Rest of the interview @ http://www.down-south.com/

No comments: